Thursday, August 30, 2007

Home grown goodness!

Growing up with my parents, here in Pleasant Grove was great. One of the best parts of that childhood was that my father loved to garden. When we were little, half of the back yard was devoted to a garden. He grew everything you could think of and us kids had to help with a lot of the work. Back then I hated it. Every year we were assigned a segment to be in charge of, to weed and keep the plants growing. I always jump in fast to pick the corn. Not because I loved corn then, but because the plants were tall and therefore provided the most shade in the heat of the day and didn't let as many weeds grow. See how smart I was as a child!!! Now I look back at those time with fond memories. Not only did it instill us all with a great work ethic, but it provided countless moments of one on one time with my dad helping him do what he loved. I love this about him and I love that we now live even closer and my girls get to spend some of those moments with their grandfather. This year we just happened to be over for a visit one evening when my dad was planting the corn. Abby was sooo excited to go in and help him sow the seeds in the ground. Throughout the rest of the summer we would stop in and she would watch "row 4" to see all the progress it was making. Well last week the time had finally come, it was ready to pick and Abby was thrilled to take it home to eat. Here are some shots of her first harvest of corn, from row 4, as well as the first time she had ever shucked an ear off corn.



Liv also got into the action!



Abby has now decided that corn on the cob is the greatest thing in the world. I can't blame her, I also look forward to this short four weeks out of the year when the corn is in season!

On that note I will share my latest scrappin' creation. I lifted this page idea from a blog that I frequent called Mellisa G's Pick of the Day. She had this link to a fairy name generator
http://www.emmadavies.net/fairy/default.aspx
Her layout pick of the day was devoted to this name.
I thought it was such a cute idea and I had the perfect photo's to use. It was really fun to do an extraction to create this fun layout.


Everyone have a wonderful day!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love that layout with Eva; that's so cute. And good job Abby on your successful crop of corn--it looks yummy!

Audrey said...

Wow! Row 4 has been tended by a serious green thumb. Oh how I love sweet Utah corn. and I love to look at your pages. In addition to an instilled work ethic, your girls' histories are being told in a beautiful way. I haven't done my pioneer day photos yet, and you may just have to email over that "Fourteen" page! It is wonderful. I love the black and white. Beautiful job!

Linda Clark said...

I just had two ears of corn myself from the garden and I have to agree with Abby, sweet corn is the best...along with yellow crook-neck squash, beans, cukes, peppers, tomatoes, etc, etc. My kids still like the garden and my youngest daughter Collette just helped Dale and I can 12 pints of pickled beans. Our problem is that we still plant too many rows for just the two of us! Now that fairy picture...I told you your girls should be Anne Geddes models!!

Paulene Davis said...

I heard right, this posting is wonderful. What a great experience for Abby to have row 4 and now be able to harvest her efforts. It is always fun to see Liv try to be as big as her sister. Perfect pose for Eva on the layout. You do a great job with your girls.
P.S. Good to see you tonight at the game.

Amber said...

The corn looks divine! I had some the other night and you are right about it being in season- it was delicious!! Has anyone ever told you that your girls could be Anne Geddes models? That picture of Eva looks like it came straight from a photoshoot by her! So cute! And I just love liv's face as she is concentrating so hard on that corn.. not to mention the successful, happy face she gives when she sees the corn in its full yellow beauty!