Saturday, January 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad

My Dad is celebrating his 58th birthday today. How exciting is that!! I just love him so much and thought I would give him a little tribute. I wish I had pictures on the computer(I have prints but no scanner at the moment) to show everyone that he hasn't change a bit since he was 20! He has a few more grey hairs but he still wears the same size pants(really, how is it that I didn't get any of those genes?).

My father has many great qualities that I could mention (hard worker, strong testimony, leader, structured, scheduled, dependable, generous, athletic, etc.) but I won't bore you with those !! What I want to share is the great quality that I notice in him now that I am older and can better appreciate him(I was one heck of a rotten teenager!).

It is this: I LOVE that when we show up (like tonight!) unannounced, my three crazy girls in tow, he stops what ever he is doing, gives them all a hug, and gets down on the floor and starts playing whatever they are into that day - today it was a tea party, other days it is Barbie's, dress-up, Mr. Potato head, or a board game. I LOVE that he does that. I don't have a single memory of him doing that with me as a child, but lets be honest I am the middle of eight children and he, I am sure, was pretty tired, worn out, and just plain busy! But to see the complete love and joy in his eyes for his grandchildren when ever we come over just makes me love him more.

This is one of my favorite pictures of our family trip to the Redwoods this summer. Isn't it cute that the kids wanted to hike with their grandpa and nobody else. And in all reality isn't it funny that they were the only ones that could keep up with him!!

I also love that he is enjoying his slide scanner that we all gave him for Christmas. We sat together tonight at the computer (between tea party sessions and before he was watching figure skating with Abby!) to show me 1977 - 1989 that he has scanned in already! Isn't that amazing! I just loved seeing all those pictures, most of them I have never seen before. Thanks Dad for the trip down memory lane, and boy, did I have some awful hair back then!!!!

So to you Dad, I hope you had a great day, we sure did love visiting with you, and I hope you know that we love you!

6 comments:

Amber said...

I am sitting here with Trace and we were reading what you wrote about Jay... and he saw the picture of him in his hat that you posted and he wants me to tell you that he took it and that you should have sited his photography skills in your blog! I think it is a fabulous tribute though and I have noticed him always playing with his grand kids. He is wonderful!

JJ said...

Happy Birthday to the father of an amazing girl! Someone I am glad to call "friend." I wish you the best of days!

Audrey said...

That is great about your Dad. It is amazing what qualities we now notice in our parents since becoming parents ourselves. I pray my kids will see some "new" qualities in me some day too.

Jessica said...

What a nice tribute. I've never met your dad, but he seems way cool and he's in great shape! That's really amazing he still wears the same size. I'm wishing I wore the same size I wore when I was twenty!

Jennifer said...

Yes, Jay is a fantastic person, and I'm grateful for him. All of his greatest traits were passed on to my husband, and I hope my sons will also get those characteristics. What a wonderful tribute to an amazing man.

Paulene Davis said...

I have always thought that you have amazing parents. I know that Paul admires your Dad very much. I know just how he feels about your girls, they are so much fun to play with. Happy Birthday Jay and thanks for a wonderful daughter.