Thursday, October 18, 2007

Pie, we made Pie!

I know that my brother's are probably not going to read this, but this title is an inside joke between me and them. I believe it is a reference to a Simpson's episode(I believe it is the random answer that grandpa give to someone), or something of that nature, but we laugh every time one of us says it!! However, today we really did!! I had been talking about making one for sometime now. Our sad little tree in the back yard actually produced quite a few apples, much to my surprise. They have been out there begging to be picked for several weeks and today the girls and I decided to go for it!


They had a great time helping me pick the perfect ones to make into a pie. A couple of days ago I received my latest issue of Martha Stewart's EverdayFood in the mail and it had a most appealing recipe for Apple Crumb pie, this is of course the one that I decided to try for my debut as a pie maker. Don't get me wrong, I have made pies before. One of Paul's favorite stories to tell is of our wedding reception and my dad in his little speech about me saying "Bree can make a good pie"! I have just never done one from complete scratch, with fresh apples that needed to be cored, skinned and sliced and tossed in lemon juice. I now have a new appreciation to all my grandmother's and great grandmother's who in the past and over many years have done this great labour of love for their families! It took me forever, ok, it just felt like it! Jerianne, I really could have used your little contraption that makes easy work of that!!! However, I was able to complete the task and the smell of baking apples, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and pastry has filled my house and the look of great anticipation from my girls as they watched that pie brown and bubble in the oven has made me understand why people bake pies!!!


Doesn't it look delicious!! I will saver every last bite and make sure to indulge even further by putting a scoop of ice cream on top - Jerianne, are we walking tonight!!!!!!

8 comments:

Paulene Davis said...

Wow, I am so proud of you. I only wish I was in the area today to stop in for a taste. What a great experience for the girls. By the way, I know now what to have you bring for the next family dinner.

Hillary Brown said...

the pie story is actually from animaniacs (or at least i think it is. i swear it isn't simpsons though.) i remember it being way funny! good times, good times. anyway, bree you do make a mean pie! i have always loved your flaky crust (that sounds funny). One of the few pies i have made from scratch is apple- actually caramel apple and it won best pie in my ward bake off!

Amber said...

I didn't know you were such a baker... Betty Crocker I guess you could say! I'm just going to add that one to the list of things you need to teach me how to do! I love Liv's bows in her pigtails!

Jennifer said...

Oh, what a perfect week to make a pie--any baking is great in this overcast, rainy weather! Your pie looks fantastic! Brandon has said you always were quite good at making pies, so I'm sure your made-from-scratch creation tasted even better than it looks! Good job.

JJ said...

I can testify that the pie was amazing - I actually got to taste it (one of the perks of walking with Bree). Thanks for killing my diet. I actually pay homage to you and your pie in my recent blog entry. Thanks again!

Kelly said...

MMMMM, I love apple pie and yours looks D-licious. I love the picture of your cute girls heads peaking over the counter! I hope it tasted as good as it looks! I'm glad you are able to get out to walk with a good friend too!

Linda Clark said...

Boy, is my mouth watering! That looks terrific, so much better than the first pie I ever attempted. And your girls' faces are so bright and beautiful. Great going, Mom! Tell Paul not to eat it all!

Audrey said...

walk or not, put ice cream on it and savor, savor, savor! Guess I know what you will be making when you come for Thanksgiving! (can't wait by the way.)