Monday, October 22, 2007

Ode to Mr. Snowman

It is no secret that I dread the day that the first snowfall sticks to the ground and the cold air is here to stay! However, I have decided that having children helps you see the brighter side of life. Abby and Liv were overjoyed when they looked out the window of my mother's house on Saturday evening only to see huge snowflakes falling ever so gently and peacefully to the ground. After a short time it was piling up and the excitement in their faces only grew as they realized that there was going to be enough to make a snowman! I told them they would have to wait until after church the next day and that it might have melted by then, but we would see. So first thing Sunday morning they were looking out the window only to discover that there was tons more than they had at bed time and I almost couldn't get them to go to church. We don't get done until 2:00pm and the snow had mostly melted, all but a strip in the backyard that was shadowed by the fence. Abby bundled herself up and ran out the door! Much to my surprise, when I looked out a while later she had created some pretty big snowballs and was ready to stack and decorate(as only my girls would like to do!!). I have to say she did a pretty good job for a first timer and the whole activity was topped off by Abby, Liv and Paul sitting at the back door looking out at that wonderful Snowman creation, Paul telling Abby that sadly it was going to melt, and all three of them breaking into song: Once there was a Snowman, Snowman, Snowman, once there was a Snowman...... What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful childhood friend. Until next time Mr. Snowman, until next time!!!!

6 comments:

Amber said...

I have some funny snowman pictures from last year... I actually think you saw them when I brought over my scrapbooks! I love building snowmen (and snow women)! And I would have loved to stop by tonight for a delicious cookie. It would have been perfect because I was on my way home from SLC around 7. Oh well! Tell your girls hi for me anyway and I will have to come another time.

Jessica said...

Great snowman! I knew the snow pictures were coming soon. I do miss the snow and I can't wait to come visit. I hope that there's plenty around come January! I will have to convince Brandon how great snow is. My little Arizona boy thinks our 60 degree mornings are freezing!

Audrey said...

I have such fond memories of building snowmen with the kids when we lived in Denver. Little Liz used to always give him a kiss once he was built. Very cute photos!

Jennifer said...

Oh, that is so precious! I wish I could have heard father and daughters singing "Once There Was a Snowman!" Priceless! Good job, Abby, on your snowman-building! I'm quite impressed!

Paulene Davis said...

The first snow is always fun. However, I am like you and do not look forwad to winter. Looking through the eyes of a child helps us all to see things with more enthusiasm.

Linda Clark said...

Makes me wish that we would get some snow here in Idaho! We actually have had some all over the state, but not where we live yet. Making a snowman is the best and sacrificing a pair of gloves everytime is worth it! Cute picture!