Monday, February 11, 2008

Rights of passage...

Tonight was immunization night :(

My poor, sweet, innocent little girls didn't know what was coming. You see, much to my lack of planning, procrastination, and just down right laziness, Liv had fallen behind by more than a year and little Eva is over a year old and I never even started her. So with the need to get Abby's enrollment papers into the School for Kindergarten, which of course needed to include her 5 year old rounds, I went ahead and scheduled all three of them to get going. I did make the appointment for the evening so that Paul could be there to help me! My sister has horror stories of taking all 4 of her kids in at the same time and when the younger three heard the oldest one cry they took off down the hall and out the door!! She pretty much had to chase them all down with the help of the nursing staff!!

I have to say, as is almost always the case in our home, I was far more nervous and distraught then I needed to be, my girls were soooo brave. Abby came out with one tear on her cheek and sat down and said "Mom, that was more than a pinch, and I got three of them!" And I couldn't believe that Eva(after 6 shots) wasn't even crying when Paul brought her back down the hall. Of course Liv was the one that lost it (naturally) and with her big puppy dog eyes, she nearly made the nurse give up her career!! But as with most things in life, Daddy taking them out for ice cream and pink suckers makes it all better!! Now it's all done and forgotten, all three snug in their beds.

Another item on my new years resolutions on it's way to being complete, I will just give myself a pat on the back and help myself to a little ice cream as well!! Ok, maybe Paul can have some too for doing all the dirty work!!!

10 comments:

Paulene Davis said...

The different reaction of each girl is hilarious, especially because I know them so well. Big night for the Davis girls, hope they are feeling okay today. This is certainly one way to have them dislike family home evening. I like the idea of pink suckers.

JJ said...

Wow! You two are some of the bravest parents I know. Kudos to Paul for going with you and being in there with the kids. I hate having to be in there for shots.

Check that one off your list. Doesn't it feel good?

Audrey said...

My heart goes to everyone. I have been there! Except I always have to go alone. I just made Grace's appointment for her round before Kindergarten signups too. Can you believe that they are going to school? (yes! and its party time!)

Linda Clark said...

Oh, the days of shots. You are so lucky to have Paul there helping, he is terrific, isn't he? Your girls are definately brave. I remember having to get shots almost monthly for chronic sore throats before they had oral antibiotics and hating the smell of the doctor's office as soon as we walked in. But I survived. Ice cream is the ultimate reward!

Michelle said...

I USED TO BE THAT PERSON giving the shots. I hated it. The kids would see me and just start screaming. (And I am not used to kids hating me.) I can tell you right now that I will NOT be a pediatric nurse giving immunizations some day.

Jessica said...

I always hate the appointment that Brandon get shots. He looks at me like I've betrayed him when I hold him down for the shot. It's good you got it done in one sweep. It also helps to get some ice cream!!

Jennifer said...

Oh, shots, a necessary evil! I'm glad it's over with, though! Isn't it great how ice cream makes everything all better! I'm so proud of your brave little girls; way to go, ladies! I love the Valentine's look. Very cute topper, too!

Amber said...

This story reminds me of when I ripped my ear off in first grade and it took 6 nurses and the doctor to hold me down long enough to give me a shot. After hearing about how brave your girls were makes me feel a little too dramatic... ok, a lot too dramatic. I can just picture those pig tears in Liv's eyes. Good job Paul for taking them out for ice cream! That was always my favorite part too :).

Amber said...

and by 'pig' tears, I mean BIG tears! p.s. my sister's friend was asking me about digital scrapbooking, so I told her to check out your blog for some ideas! I hope you don't mind... :)

Kelly said...

That is so hard. I hate it too!! When are they going to come out with a topical lotion vaccine??