Saturday, August 22, 2009

Bike the Bear 2009

Our worthy opponent:50 miles around the lake- bike it twice.

Here we are, eager to begin, just as the sun crested over the western mountain line on the hills of Garden City. The temp was 53 degrees and the weather was perfect!
This shot was taken about 20 miles into the ride (Shamae is taking the picture while riding), sooo sorry Kelly that you are a blur from an apparent smudge on the lens, but you have to agree I look FANTASTIC!!! :)
Here we are as I started pulling the lead again at mile 85 right after our second run through the hills and the temps were now 100 degrees with no shade, and yet we were doing great! (Kelly is taking the pic) There was a bit of a head wind, but it was crisp and cool blowing in off the lake which felt really good. Two other riders hooked onto our group around mile 60. Lou and Dave were hitting a wall after doing the first 50 alone and they fit right in with us and our fitness level. With our group now 5 instead of 3 we were able to cruise it around that second lap even faster than the first time. I have a new understanding and appreciation of the Peleton in the Tour de France!

We beat our goal (to come in under or at 7 hours) and cruised into the finish line at 5 hours and 50 minutes! We averaged 18 miles an hour (our goal was 15) and just so you know we burned 5,783 calories! Yes we deserved that cheeseburger and fries at the finish!!!I was so worried that I would not make it and would die of exhaustion, but really all the physical and mental preparedness really payed off- we did awesome, even if I do say so myself!! Way to go Team Griffiths you guys were great and it was so fun to work, push though and take our bodies further than they had ever gone before (and have them perform so well) together!

Shamae wants to do it again next year, anyone up for the challenge? Anyone? It was a total blast and good time. I will check this off my list of things I want to do in this life and revel in the accomplishment. However, I kind of think I will just go back to my Triathlons next summer- those are done in an hour!!!

12 comments:

Sarah F. said...

Bree....you are amazing!! Is there anything you can't do? Congratulations! What an accomplishment.

Tina DeWitt said...

I can't believe what I am reading - the three of your are absolutely amazing! And of course I think a little crazy too for coming up with such a challenge. Great work!

Michelle said...

Way to go! Why you would choose to be on a bike for almost SIX HOURS is beyond me, but I am proud of you. Congrats on the accomplishment and, for the record, you did look fabulous in the photos. :)

Kelly said...

AAhhh!! You did so great, all of you!! It looks like a beautiful day too. I'm so proud of you that is such an accomplishment! How are you feeling the day after?
p.s. if you do it again.. I want to. I could pretend to be a Griffith:)

TJoad said...

Way to go Bree! What an amazing accomplishment--you should be proud indeed!

Julie

Audrey said...

I can't think of any other word to write that hasn't been written... Amazing! so proud! and of course a little crazy! :) Hats off and a jaw dropped to you! That is one challenge you met head on and tackled while (yes I agree)looking fabulous. WOW!!!

JJ said...

Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment. Not sure how you did it way to go.

FYI: You could go for way more than the hamburger if you ask me...

I have a lot of other questions about a 6 hour bike race but I'll keep them to myself.

Randy said...

WOOOOO!!! I'm so impressed and jealous. One day I want to do something cool like that!

Brooke said...

Woo hoo--you did it! Sounds like extremely hard work and you all pushed through! What a cool thing you can tell your kids--you rode 100 miles! Congrats!

Jill said...

Congrats to you 3!! I didn't realize that it was 6 hours on the bike...that is a long time! I'm glad it turned out great and the weather cooperated for you!

Maddox Family said...

Way to go team Griffiths!! You are amazing!!

Amber said...

Wow. Wow. wow. You guys are amazing! Congrats... you did it!!!