Monday, July 27, 2009

One great thing after another

We were lucky enough to spend the 24th over at Cory and Jill's place with the family. It was a wonderful get- together full of food, swimming, slip-n-slide action, bad-mitten and fireworks!!For this gathering I brought a yummy salad as well as Red White and Blue cupcakes frosted with my mother's famous Marshmallow Icing!! (It was my first time EVER getting the consistency right, they were a monument of perfection, if I might brag a bit!!)I got the idea of making them from this post over at The Daily Digi . Her's were Rainbow, but I thought Red White and Blue sounded fun and the girls had a blast swirling the colored batter around in the cups!

The next day we finally made it up to see my brother Brandon's new house- it was beautiful and they did such a good job building it!! We spent the afternoon at the pool with them and it was a blast, the weather was perfect and the kids all play so well together. Then we went back to their place and Brandon whipped up his famous Orange Julius shakes. I haven't had one of those since we were kids and it just took me back to the good old days!!! Thanks you guys for a great day!

Yesterday we went and visited my parents for the afternoon- mostly because the girls wanted to check on Abby's plants from school. During her "Plant" unit in Science they had started several from seed and when they were too big for my window box in the kitchen we turned them over to Grandpa's more than capable hands. Just look at what has become of them!!!

Abby's Pumpkin- can you believe the size of that plant! And look at one of the pumpkins, it will be perfect for carving come October!

The two Giant Sunflowers! Almost ready to bloom. I need to start finding out what to do with the seeds when they are ready.Here is Marigold dutifully protecting the tomatoes from bugs!And lets not forget little green bean, mixed in with Grandpa's and putting off lots of fruit!!Of course I couldn't leave out the corn, all are Grandpa's but they loved exploring up and down each row.
Thanks Dad for taking good care of them!! Before we left we harvested some beans, carrots, zucchini and ate lots of yummy blackberries!!

Today, the children are still in their PJ's and I am armpit deep in laundry, so our fabulous weekend has come to a screeching halt- such is life!!!!

4 comments:

Sarah F. said...

What fun! Those cupcakes looked delicious! You will have to spread around that marshmallow icing recipe. I have never heard of that before....I bet it is good.

JJ said...

I have finally returned from the abyss of company and family reunions. It looks like you guys have been busy. I miss seeing you and your little girls. They are looking so grown up.

I hope you guys are having a good summer!

Michelle said...

I wouldn't have realized how tall the corn was without Paul standing there. Yikes! Maybe next year I'll give corn a try.

You have adorable kids. When are you and Paul going to dinner and letting us babysit? :D

Amber said...

Sorry, I am way late on commenting on this post but can I just say that I love the pictures of your girls in the garden? It's like a forest to them in between the corn! I LOVED your cupcakes with the white frosting... and if Trace hadn't dropped mine on the ground to have it covered in dirt, I would have really enjoyed the taste as well! I will have to make it for Trace's birthday again... this time with a little more patience!