Saturday, September 13, 2008

To all the Soccer moms out there...

When Abby started begging to play soccer last spring you can imagine the joy that filled Paul's whole being! So, I signed her up to play in the city league that started at the end of July. In all of Paul's enthusiasm to have a child playing sports he decided that he would like to coach the team as well. I was a little apprehensive about this but went ahead and checked the box. Sure enough, because who volunteers to coach 12 4 and 5 year olds, we were named coach. So as we now near the end of our season I have decided that while coaching wasn't all that bad, it did have it's moments and I think it would be more enjoyable for me and Paul if we just let someone else do it next year so that we can cheer on our little athlete from the sidelines!!!Abby fully enjoyed playing- loves going to practice, kicking the ball around in the back yard with Dad, and especially getting all geared up in her uniform complete with "tall socks" cleats and shin guards.From the very beginning she loved getting out there with everyone, determined that they would win(even though we don't keep score and I have to keep reminding Paul of this also!). At the first game she proved to be a little timmed when it came to kicking it (she didn't want to hurt someone else, or have them hurt her!) But as the weeks have progressed she has done much better, even though she still laments not having scored a goal. I just keep telling her, while that is true, she has been able to dribble the ball all the way down the field and tried making a kick at the goal- so much progress from the first game!
I have to say that with one more game to go next week I am sorry that Abby will be done with a very fun activity that she really enjoyed. However, I am glad to be done, the sister's are glad to not have to sit for an hour on the sidelines and not bother mommy while she subs players, and Paul, I think, is glad to not have to take care of 12 rambunctious kids anymore, not to metion the early game starts!!

Until next year round soccer ball, until next year!

PS- Thanks to my Mom and Dad who came to a game and took pictures for me!!

PPS- I find it very funny that nobody could tell who was in the pictures in my previous post!! I had better make sure to identify in the future- by the way, it's ABBY in these pictures!!! HAHAHA

8 comments:

Kelly said...

That looks like so much fun. I had wanted to get Zack in Soccer but missed registration by a week. I am a really good mom.
I'm sure Abby loved having you guys as coaches!

Amber said...

It's too bad that this has to end (for Abby)! I am so glad that she had lots of fun. Her hair is really cute and I love the pictures of her in action! I was sad, however, that I couldn't come and watch. I miss not being able to go to things like that! Tell Liv that I miss her too! That was such a cute little comment about her putting it on her "maget" board (ha ha) and it made my whole day. Trace and I might be coming down this weekend to go camping with my friends in Park City, then the BYU game so hopefully we'll get to see you guys this time. Love you!

Michelle said...

You guys look like great coaches! Abby looks like she's having fun. I think she's such a cute girl!

Jill said...

We are right in the middle of the fall soccer season around my house, and enjoying the sport as well! Abby is so adorable in the pictures and I think it is fabulous that she wants to be involved and play the game!

Audrey said...

All the soccer moms get a big hats off from me. I did it last fall with 2, and NEVER again! Abby's hair is getting so long and cute. My favorite photo is the one with coach Paul kneeling with the team. I think he and Abby have the same intent expression on their face. Oh how I laughed a laugh that brought me to tears. Oh Paul & soccer.... You've seen the home movies, yes? Now the circle of life is complete.

Jennifer said...

It was so much fun to spend the day with you guys on Saturday. Thanks again for a great time.

I love your little collages of pictures--they're pretty cute.

I still give you guys major kudos for coaching--glad you are through with that, even though Abby is sad to be done. She really is cute with her hair all pulled back!

Linda Clark said...

Way to go...I think it's great that you and Paul are coaching, they need super, dedicated parents to help. Keep up the good work, sounds like a very fun and worthwhile endeavor.

Paulene Davis said...

Abby looks like a natural on the field. Her hair always looks great but especially perfect for soccer. You and Paul have worked hard and sacrificed for the success of the season. The "until next year" comment sounds like another season is on the agenda.