Friday, September 19, 2008

Only the lonely

It seems that I have been finding myself alone at night. After long days with my darlings I am ready for them to head off to bed, sometimes at 7:30pm because I am done, and lucky me, none of them can tell time! Usually this is followed up with some one on one time with my other darling, honey, lovey, snookums... I digress, but you understand right? In case you don't that would be my Paul, in which we usually engage in lying on the couch and, yes you got it, watching some TV, our favorite shows (thank you Tivo)!! However, as stated before I am finding that after getting my children to sleep and walking down stairs I am sitting on the couch alone with not a thing to watch, and missing my mate to laugh with and ease away the tensions of the day!! Many a late nights has Paul been working, one disaster after another at work, duty calls and he then calls me to say that yet again he will not be there to rub my feet and laugh with me while we watch mindless meaningless banter on TV. So, what is a girl to do? How do I fill the next several hours until I crawl my lonely old self up to bed? I must admit that several night I have popped myself a bowl of popcorn and curled up to a chick flick, much to my pleasure, with out a snide remark from Paul that he just can't possibly hold in for one more second! "Oh come on!, That is so stupid!, I saw that coming a mile away!, I can't take it anymore!..." you get the picture, and if any of you have watched a chick flick (Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives etc.) with him then you know what I am talking about!! Mostly I don't mind, because I am just that loving and understanding of his inability to keep it in!! One night I totally lost it and while watching recorded cooking shows I somehow managed to eat an entire box of chocolates by myself (Dove Caramel filled dark chocolate pleasures) and I am not even a chocolate girl! Although while pregnant with Eva I craved Dark chocolate sooo sooo much and I guess I had a traveled back in time moment! Don't even ask me about the scale right now- I need Paul back to talk some sense into me- "No Bree, you are not hungry, you are just thirsty, put the candy away!" Ok, I am lying he doesn't say that, he actually talks me out of my chewy gummy candies only so I will make us a bowl of nachos instead!!
So all of you women that deal with your traveling husbands, have men that work long and draining hours and find yourself alone, a lot, how do you spend your evenings? Mostly I am at the computer with a box of gummy chewy treats (mentioned previously) scrappin to my hearts content, or until my eyes are a constant stream of tears from drying out looking at a computer screen for too long and I hit a creative block!! Not the worst thing I could do right!!! Here are some of the results. All are for Abby's book, which is now complete and a monster of a book at that! When the cropping is done and uploaded to print it will be 96 pages comprising two years and then I begin her "School Days" album.

Of course we have Amber and Trace's wedding, I decided to keep this one simple, and I just love that little word art!
This layout combines both of the July holidays into one, I haven't done that before and I think it works.
This one started out totally different then it ended up, but I really like it! I have been wanting to do a tree and bird layout that is all the rage right now, so I went with it.

This is her "Summer Review Page" I got the "We were Here, and here and here" title from a layout in Creating Keepsakes Mag. But I decided to "circle punch" everything and stitch it on.

Hopefully Paul is getting a big bonus for all his overtime hours so that I can actually order the mammoth book!!! Because I KNOW that it is definitely the only way he would ever like to spend his money!!

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, Bree, I'm so sorry that you've been alone at night! With Brandon having just finished school, I totally understand how lonely it can be! But, you have definitely produced some exemplary work! Very cute, and I shall be sure to copy all of your creative ideas!

I'm glad he'll at least get overtime! And yes, of course he will want to spend all that money on beautiful albums of his favorites girls! What else could he possiblly want to spend it on?! :-)

JJ said...

Too bad we don't live a little bit closer (closer than even now) because I've been lonely this week, too. I wish I had something to show for it like you.

JJ said...

Your pages are awesome! I was going to do something similar for a Summer page just so that I didn't have to do a different page for each "event."

Audrey said...

Great pages! you know I always just soak up your ideas. I have always loved your color choices. Alone at night? Now you are singing my tune sister! Last night was me & the laptop, oatmeal cookie dough, (didn't bother cooking it) and Patrick Dempsey in Made of Honor. Kevin comments through all my shows too, so I saved him the agony. I have been working on a DVD photo project and designing the case inserts. or I practice my piano with the damper pedal on. Just living the dream life!!

Michelle said...

I just love it when you post your layouts! I loved each little photo in the "we were here" page (which, by the way, is just adorable). My favorite photo is of Abby reading an ad out of a magazine - it looks like it's for proactiv or something. I'd love to know the story behind that one. :)

Sorry Paul has been gone so much. When Dave was in grad school I was home alone Monday - Thursday nights. I hated it!! Take a tiny bit of comfort in knowing that The Office is back on starting next Thursday night. ;)

Bree D. said...

Michelle-
That picture of Abby reading the add is hilarious because she was just sitting on the front porch totally engrossed in what was on her side, but the side we could see was for breast enlargement and the other is for Pro Active Skin care Solution- we thought it was so funny!

Paulene Davis said...

Did I ever tell you the reason that I started tole painting? Same reason as many have posted. Your pages are wonderful. I love the work that you have done for Amber's wedding. And yes, I love the quote as well. It is so perfect for her wedding and photos. Abby is a very gifted and precious child. I love her with all my heart.

Amber said...

I really enjoyed reading this post, only because I realize what a different life it is being the one at home, done with school, and having your husband working late or doing homework. You try to be understandable because you did it for the past four years... the projects, homework, study sessions, tests, etc. but somehow you but when you want to spend that priceless quality time with the person you love the most, you feel like they should be with you more than somewhere else. I don't understand why it works that way! Thank you so much for the recipe! I can't wait to try it! It will be in next week's budget for sure :)! I love the pages that you just completed! I especially love that cute picture of Abby in the doorway! It is so sweet. Way to keep yourself busy during those lonely nights. I have been a fan of reading lately but I think it's time I start scrappin'!

Amber said...

p.s. I also wanted to add the following:

At least you have cable and internet!!! :) Ha ha ha.

Linda Clark said...

Chick flicks and plenty of munchies...yea, that will do it. Great pages and I am glad your creativity doesn't suffer when you are alone!