Saturday, June 7, 2008

A little rain never hurt anyone, right?

The Salem Springs Tri was this morning, and as most of you residents of this most unpredictable weather of a state knows, it was POURING RAIN this morning. Paul helped Kelly and I load up our bikes and hoped for the best as we drove down to Salem at 6:30am only to get there and have the rain ultimately cancel the bike portion of our race. I was so disappointed, we had trained so hard, I had Scarlet that needed to be broken in and proven the sure winner that she is! So after a half hour delay it was decided that the race would go on despite the 40 degree temps in the format of a 500 meter swim (shortened from the set 800 meters) right into the 5K run being that the roads were just to slick for the canyon bike route planned. So I was a little upset to say the least, Kelly and I went back and forth over whether it was worth it to do such a shortened race in the miserable cold. Gratefully we dug deep and new that if we walked away we would be SO mad at ourselves later, plus all the money and time spent on this would be wasted, so we decided to do it! The competition was greatly reduced (as many people decided to give it up and go home), upping our chances at doing well in the standings. We donned our suits (Kelly, you can thank me later for posting these pics!!!)and on the siren sounding for the fourth heat we hit the water strong!I have to say that I REALLY liked this open water swim better than the pool swim. It wasn't nearly as chaotic as I thought it would be, and the longer length(although not what I had wanted) as well as no lane flipping, helped me to hit my stride and pull it in strong.
One quick transition later (you will all be happy to know that I did so much better this time around!) I was out on the runThanks to my dad for pacing me the entire course and tough loving me throughout the run, all the while intimidating the competition, by telling them as he got me to pass every man that was in front of me, "Are you going to let a girl beat you!" Yes, I was afraid I was going to be lynched right on the course, but it did bring a smile to my face and make me feel proud! I was able to shave a minute and a half off my time and I was very happy with that!Of course, as expected because she is so great at this, Kelly beat me again!! But I still love her anyway!!! Thanks again Kelly for letting me do this one with you! It was an emotional roller coaster to say the least, but we are the better for it because we fought the mental game and came out victorious- I placed 9th in our age group! (I won't tell you out of how many because it isn't as impressive, but hey, I was in the top ten!!!)
One more race down, just the Strawberry Day's 5k to go on the 21st and my race season will come to an end- are you ready Jerianne, you are my next partner in crime!!!

10 comments:

JJ said...

Can I just graciously bow out of the 5K now so as not to lose all dignity trying to "compete" with a warrior? Please? I think I'll just be so embarassed.

Congratulations! You are truly amazing!

Michelle said...

I can't believe it rained on you!!! (and we were worried about the wind??)

Way to go! That is fabulous that you decided to do it despite the perilous conditions. I thought about you all morning. The weather was great at my house so I expected that you were having a great time.

I hope you enjoyed the 31 on your leg 'cause next year it'll say 32 ;) hee hee hee.

Congrats!

Kelly said...

Yay, we did it!!!!!!!! I am so,so glad we stuck it out! Great job on your times. I'm impressed with your improvement on the run too:). It ended up being a great day. Great job!
p.s I still can't warm up!

Jill said...

That is so great that you decided to do the "bi"athalon anyway! I can't believe the weather was so miserable, I was really hoping it would be better for you. Even more power to you though for finishing!
Oh and your Easter Pages on the previous post are Amazing! The layouts, color, and of course your girls are beautiful!

Bree D. said...

Jerianne, you CAN NOT decide to sit the race out! I need someone else with me when my 10 year old nieces and nephews fly past me!!!! Not to mention how fun it is going to be to do it together!

Tamarynn Leigh said...

You really are SuperBree! Great job and sorry about the cancellation of the bike portion. Can I just tell you that you look AMAZING!!! I love that your Dad is like a coach to you. That is just too awesome, and good for you for passing up men.

BTW...the tips Bryce found were from various videos on YouTube. Dave Scott, 5-time IronMan champ, has numerous videos that give advice on all sorts of stuff. I really liked the ones ones on aerobars, pedal stroke, and transitions. Hope that helps!

Amber said...

I loved watching the competition! It was so much fun to see you and Kelly with your race faces on! :) My favorite part of the whole experience though was when Paul ripped off that wet suit of yours in record speeds, then you running away and Paul saying, "We practiced!" I am pretty sure I laughed for about five minutes. Can I run with you on the Strawberry Days race? That is, can I try to keep up with you?!?! Everyone runs like a race horse... I haven't competed with such a competative family before. It's kind of intimidating...

Audrey said...

Congrats on another fine race. Way to stick it out and come out on top! Sorry Scarlet didn't get to play this time, but she'll be well rested for the next one.

Linda Clark said...

I have been away and haven't been on the blog for a long time. Wow...way to go on a great race. You are really doing well and what a triumph. You have lots of great support and how fun is that to run with Kelly. Keep up the good work. Your girls are so cute and love the pictures.

Paulene Davis said...

I am so proud of you. No apologies needed for the suit pictures. You both look fabulous, The smiles on your faces are priceless.