Sunday, June 15, 2008

ode to Dad's

Father's day to me has always been a wonderful day. Now, as I am older, I have an even greater appreciation for the roll of "Father". I have a great Dad. He has always been there, most would follow that statement with "for me" but to me, saying "He has always been there" is an even greater way to honor him. My dad is one of the constants in my life. He is such a roll model to me of what I wanted and needed my future husband and father of my children to be. Paul always jokes with me that girls always marry the opposite of their father, and yes, as far as stature, eye color and personality- but in qualities that are of the most importance they are the same. My father has an unwavering testimony of the gospel, strong sense of work and honesty, and a desire to be the best he can be. He helped to raise 8 well rounded confident and self sufficient children! If that is not a testament of all that he is I don't know what is! He is still there, willing to help, counsel and guide whenever he can and such a wonderful part of my girls lives. Paul's father is no less of an example to me of the love that a father has for his children. So giving and loving and open to help his children whenever he can. He too has a testimony to be emulated. Grandfather is a great roll in the family to have! My girls are so lucky to have both Grandparents so close and they LOVE all of them equally and will gladly climb into their laps to hear a story or just snuggle. It is so wonderful as a mother to watch that relationship grow and blossom. It is such an important aspect of their emotional development that they can't get anywhere else.Paul has such a unique calling in this life, that I know he at times struggles with, but he alone is the perfect person to fulfill it- the father of three daughters. Both of our father's did the same thing, but they weren't completely over run with the estrogen and moodiness that comes from a house full of girls! They had some "BOY" time in between that they could retreat to!! I remember studying in school, in a child development course, about the important roll of parents and that the greatest influence on a child was the parent of the opposite gender. As I raise my girls this thought has come to my mind over and over, that Paul is the perfect person to instill a positive sense of self worth in our girls. He LOVES them so much. He sees the good that each of them has to offer and so desires to bring out their strengths and help them feel wanted, loved, and needed as part of our family. Now, I know that all father's feel these things and have these desires for their children but as the mother of our three girls I am so happy with the positive influence Paul has on them. He has constructed a wonderful platform with which they can grow and blossom into the great women they most certainly have the potential to become. This is greatly done because I know that he will "always be there".
So to Paul, my father and Father-in-law, thank you for your willingness to take on the roll of "Father" and for doing it so well!

And on a lighter note, I hope I don't blow the surprise, but some of you will not be at my parents for the unveiling of the "Book" to my father. I wanted all to see a glimpse of the gift my family is giving my dad, it was truely a labor of love and I think he is going to really enjoy it:

Happy Father's day to all you wonderful Dads!!

9 comments:

JJ said...

What a beautiful tribute to the fathers in your life. Very well said! The book is lovely. I can't wait to hear what your dad thought. You did an amazing job!

Linda Clark said...

I really enjoyed reading your wonderful tribute to your Dad and to Paul. They are lucky to have you, that's for sure. I don't know your Dad, but I do know and appreciate all Paul does for his family. Kudos to you for a fine blog!

Audrey said...

Oh your book is really wonderful! I bet your Dad was speechless. You and Paul are a great couple!

Michelle said...

Your book is awesome! I'm sure he just loves it!!!

P.S. My dad loved his card - Thanks again!

Jennifer said...

That really was a beautiful ode to fathers, Bree! You are quite right about Jay--you guys really do have an amazing father. (And he passed that on to his sons, lucky for me). You are also right about Paul; it does indeed take a choice man to be a father to three girls in a row with no sons yet. They adore their daddy as they should; I love to watch them interact. It was great to see you guys yesterday-- THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK ON THE BOOK. It turned out even better than I could have imagined. I think Jay loved it, too. He looked like a little boy with a twinkle in his eye. You are such a great daughter, you know.

Paulene Davis said...

This was a very nice tribute to Fathers. Thanks for loving Paul so much. He is blessed to have you and the three girls. I loved looking through your Dad's book. You did an outstanding job--every detail was wonderful.

Tamarynn Leigh said...

Wow Bree! That book looks absolutely beautiful! What a neat gift. Once again I am in awe of your talents!

Kelly said...

That was a very nice tribute to match that great book you made. I'm sure he LOVED it!! Nice work!!

Amber said...

The book was such a wonderful gift. Yesterday when I was at your house, your dad was telling Trace some stories about one of the missionaries. Then he said, "I can show you right away which one he was in the book Bree made for me!" You bet he is enjoying it! And I loved your comments about being a dad... my dad is also the father of four girls and no sons. He has played an important role as well. It was nice to read your wonderful thoughts.