Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Reconnecting

Last Saturday I had the privilege to put a voice to the pictures and many stories I have heard over the last 10 years. What a pleasure it was!

Paul served his mission in Rome Italy. Let's just say it was not an easy mission, a lot of work with out a lot of success. However, it just so happened that in his very first week of being in the country he met a girl named Nilla, who upon seeing their sign board on the street stopped to talk with these two strange missionaries from America. A small act that changed her life and that of Paul's forever. He was undoubtedly green, he was still learning how to communicate, but she stuck with them, asking questions and feeling a change in her heart. Paul became very close with her and her family. Several transfers later he received a call that she was ready to be baptized and she wanted him to come back and perform the ordinance.

(No, she is not a giant- just standing on a chair to mock Paul's stature!)

Nilla will forever have a special place in Paul's heart, and I believe that Paul has a special place in hers as well.

What a delight it was to finally meet this inspiring woman, hear her side of the story and meet her husband and beautiful family of three boys and one darling little girl.
I know that Paul's whole being swelled with unabashed joy to find that she was doing so well, that she was happy, married to a great man, and still fully active in the church. It is always amazing to see how one choice, one decision can change the life of so many people. As we were leaving, her husband gave Paul a a hug and told him thanks- without him, his family wouldn't exist! It validated all the hard times his mission gave him- it made all of it worth doing! If not for this one and only reason, he was called to serve in the Rome Italy Mission in March of 1995- Nilla was waiting for him.

Thanks again Nilla for contacting us and wanting to meet. It was a joyous afternoon, please keep in touch!!

5 comments:

Julie Wise said...

I love that story! My brother served in Catania and had a very similar experience. It's awesome when we get a glimpse of the "bigger picture" that Heavenly Father sees.

Laura said...

What an awesome and story! and I can't believe how young Paul looks in his mission picture!

Nilla said...

I guess this comment marks my official coming out of the blog-stalking closet. :-)
Oh, that picture of the day of my baptism.... so many lbs ago!!! Bree, you are too sweet! My family LOVED getting together with you guys. The restaurant with the divers and their new friend Abbie is considered by my kids as the highlight of our Utah trip!
Of course Paul has a special place in my heart: the first time I heard about the things I now hold most dear and sacred, they came from Paul's (and Anziano Madsen's) mouth. He baptized me. He (and his family) showed me for the first time what it means to live in a family that is active in the church and made me desire to have one myself. I owe him A LOT!
You ebt I will keep in touch: didn't your husband tell you that we are going to move to Utah, be your "bestEST" friends, do everything together and double date EVERY night?!?
On a different note: what happen to our deal to use photoshop to make me tall and skinny?!? :-)

Michelle said...

What a neat story! Cute pictures too.

Audrey said...

I remember meeting Nilla at my parent's house. I am so happy that you were able to get together and she is doing so well. Great pictures!!!