Thursday, September 9, 2010

Be still my heart!

Imagine, if you will, me walking down the toy isles with Liv and Eva. They are trying to pick out birthday gifts for dear friends. We make the turn onto the "pink" isle- you know the one, the one that every girl lives for. It oozes with sparkles, frills, pretend, tininess and dreams. With all the innocence of youth it began, the wanting, dying over, wishing and loving from my girls for each and every item....until that gushing began to cascade out of me, because I had spotted IT!!!

I could hardly believe my eyes. It completely took my breath away and my heart lept right out of my chest!!! Could it be? Was it even possible? YES!!! There, looking back at me through the cellophane and cardboard- my long lost childhood friend and treasure- Peaches 'N Cream Barbie from 1985!!!
HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!!! Tell me you remember her, the commercials, the desires to have and own her!!! Do you even understand the relationship I had with this doll? I mean absolute devotion. I thought she was the most beautiful thing. Do you see that embossed vinyl top, how it shimmers? Have you noticed the peachyness of the flowing skirt? You didn't possibly overlook that exquisite shoulder boa, all ruffled to perfection. Be sure to look closely, because the piece that I adored the most, yes even more than her long stone fruit scented hair, was that killer diamond ring!! That very one the size of her entire hand- I protected that with my life!!!

I wanted her! I needed her!! Oh, my 8 year old self longed to comb her hair once more and posse her next to her handsome Ken in the dinning room of her pink barbie house where they could dine on blue plastic plates and listen to music from her tiny gray ghetto blaster while the corvette sat parked outside waiting to whisk them away on a fabulous adventure!

But alas, I am not a child, I don't have the miracle that is Santa Claus to override the ... wait for it... $40 Revisited Retro Barbie Line price tag. And so, she still sits on that shelf and I took a picture instead. Being an adult REALLY bites sometimes!!!

10 comments:

Sarah F. said...

I sooooo remember peaches and cream! Oh, what memories! I can't believe you had the will power to leave her sitting on that lonely shelf! I am impressed.

Hillary Brown said...

of course I remember her! I only tried to steal her from you every chance I got! which you loved I'm sure... I was really annoying wasn't I ;)

shamae said...

While I wasn't really a Barbie girl, even I remember that Barbie. I think the dress might still be in mom's box downstairs.....

JJ said...

Forgive me for being surprised but I can't see you gushing over a Barbie doll. However, I understand. I wasn't really in to Barbies but I'm pretty sure we had that one. Aren't you impressed with how much they can charge for those "retro" Barbies?

Jill said...

Wow, I can honestly say I don't remember this barbie at all! But to tell you the truth I don't think I ever owned a barbie hahaha!

Laura said...

I totally remember her! I was never lucky enough to own her, but I envied all my friends who did! Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Amber said...

I wasn't alive yet...!!! So I don't remember her. But she sounds amazing. You just make her look so great! I love it.r

Shelli Sivert said...

Bree! Yes, I totally remember this Barbie! I didn't have her, but I think one of my sisters did. I was more into Strawberry Shortcake. Don't get me wrong. I played with Barbies (probably until I was...way too old to be playing with Barbies). But my obsession was with Strawberry Shortcake. I love how she smelled and that big old head and those huge eyes and those white-and-green striped tights. A few years ago--right when S.S. was making a comeback--I saw a modern version in Walmart. She was so cute! She was just the same, but with slightly updated clothing. I was enchanted! I wanted to buy her but couldn't think of a reason. I don't have any little girls. But I didn't. Shortly after that, they changed S.S. dolls and they're not as cute and they don't look the same. I wish so badly I would have bought that modern version, just to stare at her and remember my childhood. What a fun flashback!

Jennifer said...

I remember this Barbie! I don't know if I ever got her, but I do remember the advertisements! I can't believe they are charging $40for it, though--that's so dumb! Maybe you can ask Paul for it for your birthday! :-)

Tina DeWitt said...

I owned and loved that Barbie, as well, and had the same kind of thoughts in the store about a month ago. I was thinking perhaps Ashley would love it...6 years from now! I also opted to leave it on the shelf for now.