Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Let's just erase

the last three or four weeks. That would be OK with all of you right? If I could, it would make these last very frustrating and stressful and exhausting and disappointing days just go away. But, as we all know, this life is all about choices, learning from those choices and if the outcome isn't what you envisioned or hoped for, then turn around and make them right. This is what we are doing around these parts. This house is in a full swing re-due. We call dibs on a First Day of School re-due involving my lovely and sweet Abby girl.

I am sure you are wondering what in the world has happened. Truthfully, it is very involved and very emotional on my part. Frankly, I would just like to shut that door and walk away from it without any further thought. But I can't. I must admit my mistake and purge all thoughts before that can be done. Honestly, there have been very few times in my life that I have been at a complete lose as to what I should do. A choice was needing to be made as to whether we would stay at the charter school or admit that we had not informed ourselves and made the best decision and walk away from it. So, Paul and I did what we should have done from the beginning, we got ourselves involved. I went into the school and observed multiple times, talk to the administration, and attended not one, but two parent meetings on what the school was doing as far as curriculum and in what manner it was being taught. Now, I do not want anyone to think that I am up on a soap box or trying to preach what schools should teach and how, but we finally, after much deliberation, tears and sleepless nights came to the unified conclusion that we and the school had different visions and so we have said our farewell. That doesn't mean the school isn't right for others, just not for us at this time.

I am a very opinionated person- you all know this. Sometimes it is good, most of the time I should just shut my mouth. If you came to me with this problem I would most likely go on and on about what I think you should do about it. But this time, this time it involved MY child, my daughter, my sweet tender innocent Abby and it broke my heart completely that I had made the wrong choice for her and now she was going to have to switch schools for the third time this year. What parent does that to a seven year old? But I couldn't let her stay and not progress in a manner that I know she can perform and exceed her potential. So we sat her down Saturday night and told her the situation. We made sure that she understood that her opinion mattered immensely. We did not want her to feel upset. Naturally she was as mature as could be, looked us in the eyes and said "it's OK, I can switch schools. It will be just fine." Oh, I love that girl so much!!!

So, yesterday we took her around the corner to the neighborhood school. They welcomed us in with open arms! She was assigned the very teacher all the neighbors had said we should ask for and as she walked into the assembly hall (they were kicking off safety week in a BIG way) she was greeted by shouts of joy, hugs and smiles from all the kids she knows in the ward and the neighborhood. My heart was calmed, she is going to be just fine!

This morning we completed our official First Day of School Take II. She dressed, we took pictures, and she met her friends on the corner. They then made the short walk over to the school and came home just as happy as could be. Yes, she is content to trade in riding the Bus in exchange for buying school lunch for the first time!

In the end, I am beginning to feel like I had to get here by these means so that I would fully understand and appreciate that this is where she is suppose to be this year. These are the people she is suppose to do it with, and this is the teacher she is suppose to learn from, in this way and in this setting. Why I have to always do things the hard way is beyond me, but I am thankful to have finally received some peace and assurance in this matter. Sometimes what we think is the path of least resistance just isn't. Sometimes we need to walk down the new road to have a more clear shot at our destination.

Now, can we just settle into a normal routine already!!!!

6 comments:

Amber said...

I am so glad that you figured things out. Making sure your kid is getting a good education is sooo important. Maybe sometime I can get all the full details- i'm just curious cause I did the Elementary Ed. degree, ya know!!? I am so glad that she is happy at her new school with all her friends. Good thing she is so tough. And adorable.

Jennifer said...

Oh Bree, I'm so sorry that you have had such a rough road the past few weeks, but I'm very grateful that you and Paul are the kind of parents who are involved and pay attention to your children's needs. I am also so grateful that you have finally found peace. Abby, you are AWESOME! Would that we all had such an attitude about life and its changes! We love you guys, and we hope to see you Saturday for the game?!

Michelle said...

Wow, I haven't been here in a while. Your blog looks so cute!

Dave filled me in on the school situation and I am so glad that you were involved and aware enough to realize that she needed to switch. I've always said that you two were great parents... here is just another story to prove it! She will love her school and get a great education. :) What cute pictures too!

Brooke said...

Oh, Bree--I'm sorry for all the chaos you've had lately! It's so hard when those parenting decisions involve big stuff, like school. I'm glad you got everything worked out and that Abby's at Manila now! That will be great for her to be with friends!

shamae said...

Bree, I'm sorry you had to make the hard decision--but I'm confident things will work out great. It's good to hear Abby is happy at the new school. Hopefully life will calm down a little now.

JJ said...

I'm glad to see Abby happy and it makes a huge difference when you actually get to go to school with people you know. I'm thrilled that she has such an amazing attitude which is why my girls will miss running into her in the halls. You and Paul are great parents!