Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Our new life

So, things have been a little crazy around here. LOTS going on, more than I can even document at the moment but I will begin with the most pertinent: SCHOOL!! Hallelujah- I love a schedule and I love routine. The only problem this year- three girls in three different schools with three different start times!! Yeah, I think I am going a little crazy, but after getting through today, I think it just might work. Everyone cross your fingers for me!!!

So, lets begin. My youngest, my sweet Eva. She was the first to start on Aug. 25. She began her first year of preschool with our beloved Mrs. Sherrie down the street. Eva was a little nervous for a couple of days leading up to the event, but on the morning of the 25th she dressed and jumped on her bike for the maiden ride with a smile beaming on her little face! Upon drop off it was discovered that my friends Kerrie and Sunny from High school were also having their sweet daughters attend- oh, I was delighted!!

Next up- Olivia. She started Kindergarten the following Monday, Aug. 30th. She is going to Abby's old School and has her same teacher Mrs. Strong. We LOVE Mrs. Strong. Livvy was SO nervous the first day (it was raining so I wasn't able to get very good pictures) but after we practice her walking path through the school a couple of times and saw her very own desk and cubby she was set! Not a single tear and she was all smiles. I was the one so nervous for her- she was going it all alone, she didn't know a single person at the school, it is K-12 so there are BIG kids there, but she came home talking non stop about everything she did and the great friends she had made!

Then we finally came to Abby. What a roller coaster this last month has been for the both of us! We had her all set to go at one school and then three weeks ago we got an email saying she had come up in a lottery pull at a Charter School I had applied for last spring and she was IN!!! So we had to revamp quickly, go through another admittance process, withdraw from the former school, and go shopping quickly for all new uniforms. The school was still being built right up until the doors opened this morning! Paul and I volunteered with the school move in over the weekend and I did again on Monday. It is a beautiful facility and it functions kind of like a Jr. High. They have a specialty teacher for every subject and they travel with their backpacks from class to class. They are assigned a "Mentor" teacher that keeps track of them through the year, like a counselor. To say that she was nervous, and I was nervous is an understatement!! Everything was new and unknown.
But this morning, Sept. 1st, arrived and we made the walk down to the bus stop- oh, did I forget to mention SHE GETS TO RIDE A BUS!! Truly the crowning piece of the whole situation for Abby. Oh, but our drama doesn't end there, oh no! So, we are walking down the street, we still have a ways to go, when I notice that a bus is rounding the corner and pulling up to her stop 10 MINUTES early!! Nobody is there and it just proceeded on down the street- so I start waving my hands and motioning for the bus to stop and thankfully it does- but holy cow, SHE ALMOST MISSED THE BUS ON HER FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!! I was so glad I decided to be that embarrassing mother that wanted pictures of her getting on the bus!!! (Notice how mortified she was, just one of the joys of parenting!) I don't know if she would have flagged it down, it most likely would have just kept on going!! We will be leaving earlier tomorrow!!!
So we made it, they are all very happy with their schools and I am happy to be settling into routine again- now I just have to figure out my volunteering schedule for two different schools and still fit in my workout schedule. This afternoon I am off to another soccer practice, I guess my sister Shamae is right, life only get more busy as the kids get older!!

And so I bid a fond farewell to our old life, and embrace our new one with a positive outlook for what it holds.

9 comments:

Shelli Sivert said...

Is Olivia's school American Heritage? From the pictures it looks like it. My mother-in-law teaches there.

JJ said...

First off, the girls are beautiful! Secondly, be glad that nearly missing the bus was all that happened. My girls were supposed to get off the bus this afternoon at 3:23. Well, their driver decided to do the route backwards and my girls got off the bus at 5:00!!!! Not the best first day of school. Frantic mother (no calls were made to the parents). Frustrated, hungry, tired, need-to-go-to-the-bathroom kids...we are praying that tomorrow is better.

Sarah F. said...

Whew! What an ordeal! I am now completely tired from just reading about the girls and school! I am so glad they are all set and enjoying their various adventures. They all look so adorable!

Kelly said...

That is a busy week. I can't believe you found out so late about Abby's school. I'm glad it worked out though her school sounds great!!
The girls look so cute in their back to school clothes.

The Blairs said...

They are all so beautiful and they all look so similar. You certainly have a lot on your plate. Good luck!

Brooke said...

I love Eva's outfit! She looks darling. And the school bus story? Hilarious!! Thank goodness you were with her! I love the whole school routine too. There's just something comforting about it.

Amber said...

Oh they are so cute! I just love how happy they all are. And I loved picturing you waving your arms and taking pictures of Abby on the bus. I can't wait for when that day arrives for me.

Jennifer said...

So, you mean that if I was staying up-to-date with the blogs I wouldn't have had to ask you all those questions on Saturday?! Oh well, we had a good visit anyway! I love all the pictures that go along with the stories, and I love the school bus story! Poor Abby gets to stand in a long line of abused children whose mothers do such embarassing things as flag down school buses and then proceed to take pictures! Classic!

Audrey said...

I will trade you bus pictures for beach pictures any day!!! Your kids are darling. Just can't believe how grown up school clothes make them look.