Monday, August 25, 2008

And it begins...

Today marks the first day of the rest of her life! Abby officially started Kindergarten this afternoon.
She will be attending American Heritage School that my mother has been teaching at for years. She is so excited to be going to Grandma's school and that her cousin Asher (Cory's boy) will be in her class!
She was a little nervous this morning, I know this because every time she has something big going on she complains to me that her tummy hurts and she gets a little flushed and sweaty! So we talked about how her day was going to be, that Asher would be there and that Grandma would pick her up at the end of the day and they would drive home together. That seemed to ease her nerves and we were able to get her hair done and some lunch into that unsettled tummy and we were on our way out the door. First hurdle, Jill called and said that Asher was sick today and wouldn't be there! I told Abby who let out an "oh noooooo!" But after talking that one out a bit and telling her that he would be there tomorrow and that she could help him know what to do she was ok! Then we walked into the school only to see all the kids carrying the paper cut out of themselves that they were all suppose to make before school started and return to the teacher- well being the great mother that I am, I had forgotten hers back at home (it was completed, we had just forgotten it)! "Oh, nooooooo!" After explaining that they weren't going to use them today and that we would for sure bring it tomorrow she settled down again with the group to hear the story that the Assist. Principle was reading them.
They meet everyday in the Library until their teacher's come to pick them up when their morning class is done.I then proceeded to walk out to the front of the school to get pictures of the sign etc. for the scrapbook and wouldn't you know, out marches those cute Kindergartner's with their teachers to the flag pole to meet the principle and say the pledge while he raised the flag!It was the cutest thing and I am so glad I was still there to see it!

The best part was when they were all done and the teacher announces "Fold your arms, make a straight line" and Abby immediately does what is told and very nicely marches with her class back into the school to start her day! She is so obedient- she gets that from her dad!!!!

Oh, and these silly two thought the flag raising was pretty great as well! And Eva asked all through lunch "were Abby?", Yes they will miss her!
I am not one to get all mushy when it comes to these kind of things, but it is very momentous. It is the beginning of a new chapter in her life. For the next 13 or so years she will start school every fall. She will change, and learn and grow up this year. I am so excited for all the experiences she will have, the friends she will make, the knowledge she will obtain. My life from here on out will change. Three days a week Liv and I will have three hours of one on one time while Abby is at school and Eva is napping. We have NEVER had that much time together just the two of us, I look forward to it!!! Twice a week I will have three hours to myself while Abby is at school and Liv and Eva are both napping!!!! Oh the anticipation of that time!!!!! I will be carpooling to school everyday, volunteering in the classroom, helping the room mothers and going to parent meetings. Yes, our new life of following the school calendar has begun and Abby will spend less and less time with me. However, I don't approach it as loosing my first little baby but obtaining a school going young lady and all the wonder and imagination and creativity that it will bring!Doesn't she just look so cute in her little uniform!!! I can barely stand it!!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, Abby really does look perfect in her uniform! How awesome that you got to see them raise the flag with those sweet little munchkins! Poor Asher! I hope he gets feeling better soon! How rotten for both of them that he was sick today. I'm glad that they are in the same class, though--that's so neat!

JJ said...

How exciting! She looks so grown up and so cute. I wish I could send my girls there. Take advantage of the patriotism and spiritual nature of that school as long as you possibly can. And how fun that she gets to see her grandma every day. Lucky girl!

Jill said...

Abby looks adorable! Poor Asher...he felt so crummy today! I think he is finally feeling a little better, so fingers crossed that he will feel good enough to go to school tomorrow!!

Joel, Julie, and Maddie said...

Abby looks adorable and how exciting to have a kid in school! You're lucky to have connections to a great school for her to go to. Good luck with volunteering and homework :)

Amber said...

She is way too cute! I am so excited for you guys and the new life schedule that you will have for many years to come! She will be a great little student and her teacher will love her! When Nicole told me that Asher and Abby were in the same class I was so excited and so sad at the same time, simply because I had a brief thought of how amazing it would be to be their teacher! Whoever their teacher is, is pretty lucky! I am very jealous about the one-on-one Liv time as well. Where do I sign up for that?

p.s. Will you email me that picture of her and I? It is way too cute! I have to have it for my book!!

daherfamily said...

She does look adorable in her little uniform. What an exciting time for you guys. They grow up so fast!

Audrey said...

I am with you. A piece of my heart goes to school with my babies tomorrow. Not one to get mushy, and I am excited for their new adventures. Grace was just a newborn when Amanda went to kindergarten, and now here is Grace ready to start K tomorrow. my my where does time go? Abby looks just darling, and I am sure she will be the best little assistant to the teacher and getting straight A's. She is a wonderful first born.

Paulene Davis said...

Oh, I can barely stand it!!! She looks so grown up and ready for school. I love her uniform and her hair is fixed so darling. I looked at the first photo you posted and Abby looks a little timid. Then as I read through the blog and she started to experience the day, her confidence grew. This final picture of her shows just how ready she is. I know that this is probably coincidence, but it made me feel better. Best wishes to my Abby Girl!!!

Michelle said...

She is adorable! Congratulations on such a positive outlook. I feel like so many mothers get upset when their kids start school and you have such a great way of thinking of it!

I am sitting here realizing that I held that girl as a baby... Where does the time go? Before you know it we'll be attending her wedding. (OK, I know that I just gave you a heart atatck - forgive me for having a little fun.) ;)