Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Just being a domestic Goddess!

I do believe that I am a crafty person. I make cards, I scrapbook, I decorate the house, I love to crochet, but sewing is not one of my strengths! I have sewn some baby crib bumpers and skirts, and I have sewn a blanket or two. I have even hemmed some pants and sewn a tear in a little girls dress here and there, but nothing that is complicated or would need to look nice. So you can see my concern when I started talking to my sister and sister's-in law about the upcoming wedding and they were all buying fabric and patterns and sewing their girls dresses for the event! Naturally, I just thought I will go to the store and buy something cute, however as I started looking around everything has moved on to the back to school selections that are all fall colors and Amber's wedding colors are bright raspberry and chartreuse green. So after no success one afternoon I was walking through my trusty old wal-mart on my way to buy some milk and passed the fabric section only to have a bolt of fabric jump out at me- not only did it contain the exact colors I was looking for, but it was a pre-ruched top and the bottom was even hemmed!!! Now that was a dress I could make!! Upon further inspection I found that it was two remnant pieces the exact amount in one to fit Abby and the second was big enough to make both Liv's and Eva's- It was meant to be!!! I then went over to the ribbon section and found some green to make the straps and streamers as well as some fantastic pink ribbon to go around the waist that was beaded. Pairing that up with a cute flower at the waist and I believe I have made some pretty great dresses for the wedding!
(Eva is missing because she is napping, but it looks the same!)
Abby thinks she looks like the perfect garden fairy and I have to agree. Now I just need to find the perfect shoes...

Oh, and I have forgotten to post the pictures of the Sign in book that I made for Amber and Trace, sorry to leave you hanging, I know you have just been dying to see it!!! :)
Turned out pretty cute huh?!! It has been suggested to me several times that I should start selling these books. It is very appealing to me, what do you think? Do you think people would pay to have me create them a one of a kind, bound book for their wedding?

12 comments:

Tamarynn Leigh said...

Wow Bree! Those dresses are really cute and I am very impressed that you made them. Like you said...it was meant to be. I LOVE that wedding book, and if I was getting married, I would definitely want one. I strongly agree that you should sell them. I think they would be a HUGE success, as long as you didn't mind all the work:)

JJ said...

Those dresses are gorgeous! I am very impressed (though not surprised). I am waiting to receive a sewing machine (it's on my wish list for one of these days) because I'd love to do projects like that.

As for the books, I'd say go for it but be realistic when youa re determing a price because you'd have to charge for all the time that goes into them and you may quickly tire of doing autograph books.

Laura said...

I think it is a great business idea! I think it could be a huge success! And I love the dresses! You are awesome!

Maddox Family said...

Bree,

I am so impressed. The dresses turned out awesome. I can't wait to see pictures from the wedding. I should sell your books. People would love to have one of a kind books for their weddings.

Carolyn

Audrey said...

Do your talents ever stop? Those dresses are just darling. Do you want me to tell you the sizes of my girls? ha ha As usual, you have reached new heights in creativity. That personalized book is beyond wonderful. What a treasure for them! That would even be a great idea for 50th (or any number) wedding anniversaries. Go for it.

daherfamily said...

i am very impressed with the dresses. they are so cute. the book is adorable too!

Michelle said...

I think that you could definitely get some orders for those books. You'd want to get connected with a wedding planner since they work with the coulples with some $$$. Oh my, I REALLY wish I'd had a book created by you at my wedding. That is just SO cute! Really, really REALLY cute!! Bree, you are really talented!

I am quite pleased to see another woman who wants to sew. It is a lost art, I tell ya! Isn't it fun to make something that looks so cute on your girls. Hey, if you ever have a situation like this again where you need a dress made in certain colors I can help! Call me. :)

BTW, Liv is the most adorable girl I've ever seen. Her eyes just smile with her whole face.

Michelle said...

P.S. Your new blog colors are so cute! Gives me a happy, summer feeling!!

Paulene Davis said...

The dresses are great. The girls are going to look fabulous - I love the colors and ribbons. I have waited to see this wonderful book. OH, it is outstanding. Great idea and I like the comment for anniversaries also. I definitely think that you should go for marketing your talent. Love the new look of your blog. Love the colors.

Jennifer said...

Your new blog look is super cute! I love the girls' dresses--what a funny story. You always tell good stories! All of our kids are going to look so cute at this wedding! I LOVE the book! I agree with Jerianne, though--determining a price that would make it both affordable but worth your while may be tricky. You are very talented, though, and I think you could easily sell these things!

Amber said...

Oh how I love everything about this post, not only because all the pictures pertain to me, but because we are getting married in 11 days and seeing things like those dresses and the book again give me smiles all across my face!! The dresses are absolutely perfect in every way! You are basically amazing at every craft project on this earth. We are so lucky to have the book and so excited for everyone we love to sign it. I can't wait until the wedding to see everyone's cute dresses in person and for real! YAY!!! 11 days!!! Love you.

Linda Clark said...

Count me in on the marketing of your fabulous book...and expanding to anniversaries and other occasions, too. Little girls...well, big girls, too...love dresses for weddings...you made the perfect ones for yours.