Saturday, May 21, 2011

Race Day ReCap

Today I competed in the Women of Steel Triathlon- It was a perfect day! I couldn't believe after all the snowy, rainy, sleety, cold and unpleasant days I have been training in all spring, right up until yesterday afternoon, that it would be so perfect this morning. Blue skies, pleasant temperatures and no wind- PERFECTION!!

My sister Shamae is my training and competition partner. Can I just say what a pleasure it has been preparing for this race with her. I think it is funny that we really didn't get along very well when we were kids. She is 5 years older than me. When she was a senior in high school I was in 7th grade. She got married when I was in 9th grade and had a baby at age 20. We were just so different (we don't look a thing alike!)- until I finally got married and had my first child at 25. Now we had something in common, baby weight that needed to come off!!! When I moved back to Pleasant Grove we joined the same gym and started swimming together twice a week, and over the last four years we have really become close friends. Several years ago I got the crazy idea that we should just start biking together and sign up for a Tri and the rest is history.

Today I am so proud of us both. Last year I was in great shape, I was really prepared for the Salem Tri until I was plagued with a knee injury that took me out of the race and for 5 months afterwards. I was so discouraged and upset about it. But I pulled through and rehabbed that IT Band back to health over the winter and Shamae insisted that I would be ready by May to race again. I am a year older, a little heavier, and just plain feeling slower- but I was going to improve on my time from three years ago!

And so we come to this morning- 8:00am
I dove into the water for the 300 meter sprint and had a great swim- this is my love, I truly enjoy swimming, and by golly I am good at it!!! After passing several people and navigating through a pile up I came out of the water in 6 minutes and 13 seconds- 13th place.

I had a decent transition from the water to the bike - leaps and bounds better than last time so I will take it.

Then I was off on the bike portion- a quick 12 mile sprint a two loop course which includes a steep hill that is my nemesis- but I prevailed and clocked it all in 43 min.

My next transition from bike to run was better than the first so I was happy.

Now I was off on the run- this is by far the hardest part for me, especially the first 1/2 mile of trying to get some legs under me after burning them out on the bike. But as I made my way up that terrible hill one last time I was feeling good and running a steady pace around the bend. Not a personal best but a respectable 27 min. - not too bad, so I will take it!I finished in 1 hour and 23 minutes placing me 32 out of 167 in my age group- top 20% isn't half bad!!! I beat my previous overall time by nearly 5 minutes!

Shamae triumphed a bike chain problem to pass me on the run pulling in her personal best and ended up beating me by 1 minute- I am so proud of her!!!

Huge shout out to my Paul- totally supportive throughout the long training process, my personal cheering squad during the race and fantastic sports photographer to boot!!

I kind of declared at the finish line that I don't think I will do a Triathlon again. My Mom insisted that she KNEW that wasn't true. However, the more I think about it, the more I am liking the idea of doing it as a relay next time. Any takers? I will be calling dibs on the swim portion!!!

7 comments:

JJ said...

Congratulations! I don't know how you do it. I have no desire. I wish I did but I don't.

And I have to agree with your mom, you'll be signing up again next year.

Laura said...

That's so funny! I'm doing the relay this year to get away from the swimming...I hate it! Give me the running anyday! Way to go! You are awesome!

Maddox Family said...

Go Bree and Shamae!! Bree, I am sure you will do another tri. It looks like you had lots of fun.

shamae said...

perfect recap! I'm proud of you for hanging in there with me this year. I wouldn't have been competing without your awesome foam roller advice. I still think there will be a few more in our future.....

Randy said...

I love hearing about these! You and Shamae are inspiring. I sometimes wish it was me out there, and then I remember that I don't really know how to swim. What a satisfying accomplishment!

Michelle said...

YAY! Great job (as always)!!

Shelli Sivert said...

Alright! What an accomplishment!