Sunday, May 1, 2011

Last weekend downs and ups

A week ago, on Friday evening Abby was out riding her bike. She does this A LOT. She has taken to pedaling as fast as she can in order to get the most rush and feeling of flying as she possibly can. Well, that night she lost some of the control she had previously taken for granted. You see Abby has NEVER fallen off her bike. I mean NEVER, not even when she was "learning" to ride. She just climbed onto her bike and started peddling and that was that, off she went. So, as she was flying down the street in front of our house and her wheel began to wiggle and then her handle bars jarred suddenly to the left, she didn't know what to do. And while she was flying- arms outstretch in front of her up over the handle bars- supermaning through the air- she didn't know what to do! Her chin and hip bone took the fall and she skidded down her collar bones and arms, rolling three times to a stop. She was in total and complete shock- what- just- happened! I ran to her side only to discover the damage and her chin ripped open- poor girl, she just didn't know about the tuck and roll maneuver to save her face!!! Paul scooped her up and drove her to our Brother in Law to see if he needed to stitch her up. It was decided that they would just glue her chin shut and steri strip it tight. For the rest of her body- bandages- and lots of them!!
Crazy me, in all the panic, didn't take a single picture, but the next day at the Easter egg hunt she looked like this:
I have to share this story, not because it is unique or really out of the ordinary- everyone does this on their bike, but because the very next morning we had our initial running race ushering in the race season for the two of us! I was kind of sad, I didn't think she would want to compete in the race, all beat up and sore with bandages everywhere. I told her it was up to her, she could make the decision. I would most likely have bowed out and rested instead. She, without hesitation, declared that she was going to run that race! How could I even have thought for a minute that she wouldn't!!

So bright and early Saturday morning we made our way to my sister's school (she is in charge of this school fund raising event each year) for me to run my first 5k of the season and Abby was going to run the 1 mile, a step up for her- the previous races had been 1/2 mile runs.

It was FREEZING cold, but she lined up at the starting line with Grandpa right beside her to pace her around the loop. She was off to a quick start and wouldn't you know it- she came in at 4th place overall and 1st place overall girl!!!! We were all so excited!!! Such determination- that girl is fast!!!

I on the other hand I had a good run, it felt great, it wasn't my personal best, but I did come in at 6th place, so that feels good!!

This is a classic shot- my Dad trying to beat my 13 year old nephew into the finish line- Kobe beat him by a couple of seconds!! Both took first place in their division.

The champions- and the mom!!

Bring on the next race in three weeks!!!

4 comments:

JJ said...

The title definitely fits and I'm impressed with it all!

And thanks for sharing your husband so that he could teach Kelly more "crap" (pun intended). Kelly's now determined to fix the other two preemptively.

Brooke said...

Poor Abby! Ouch, that's gotta hurt.

Sarah F. said...

So sad! Poor Abby! I loved that she wanted to still do the run. I saw the two of you coming back from a run the other day and I just thought it was the sweetest thing. I love that you do that together.

Michelle said...

Your family is so athletic! Great job!

Love the new blog background and header, btw!!