Monday, January 17, 2011

Satisfying

This weekend we had no plans, no work and nowhere to be. In an effort to keep ourselves from going insane, Paul and I decided to pull out our home projects wish list - dust it off and pick two things that we could accomplish in one day. It was determined that we would divide and conquer two items on the list that have been there since the day we moved in. Not huge items, but small things - finishing touches, the icing, the gravy shall we say.

Project #1 by Paul's expert hands: Crown molding on our undressed kitchen cabinets. We have pretty basic cabinetry- it serves it's purpose and we have no complaints except to say that they look a little naked. (One day we will refinish them, but that is NOT a one day project my friends)

Ahhh- now that is better!Plus this gave me an excuse to clean all my dust traps I have on display up there, bonus item on the list done!

Project #2 by me (Bree, in case you were confused!): Painting the exterior lights.

Naturally I forgot to take the before picture- the excitement was just too strong to break for such things! I will just explain that they were, in a previous life, brass but had aged and rusted to the point that there really wasn't much of a finish to be had. I didn't even have to sand them. You have that picture in your mind- OK, now the new(ish) lights:
SOOO much better! A sleek satin black. Now my eyes can relax every time I pull into the driveway or when I have to answer the door. My cornia's are very pleased!

Not to bad for one day projects right?!! I will just continue to pat myself and Paul on the back for a job well done. In fact we took ourselves out to dinner that night just to celebrate our own sense of self satisfaction!! Way to go team Braul!!

7 comments:

Tina DeWitt said...

I love project days like this. You two did a beautiful job - I love the finished product!

Julie Wise said...

Love it! Both of those items are on my list as well. I have crown moulding, but we definitely and desperately need to refinish. And you are right--that is not a one day project!! I want to paint a bunch of my indoor lights. What type of paint did you use?

Amber said...

Cute! Well, I don't know if that is exactly the right word to use, but I love what you guys did!!! And to top it all off with dinner?? What a fantastic day, I'd say!

Bree D. said...

Julie-
After taking the lights apart and separating the pieces and glass I primed them with a Krylon metal primer spray to make sure the paint would adhere really well. Then I sprayed on two coats of Krylon indoor/outdoor metal paint in a Satin finish.
It is super easy with such a payoff when you are done!
Go for it!!

Jill said...

Great job! I love the DIY spirit!

Shelli Sivert said...

Wow! The crown molding makes a huge difference!

Michelle said...

Nice job Braul! I am a huge fan of spray paint.