Thursday, May 21, 2009

School's out for Summer

As I was driving around this afternoon running some errands, I was noticing the electricity in the air- the definite vibe flowing around the town as I looked at teenagers driving around in their cars with the windows down, radios blaring, laughing, and just plain having a great time knowing that school was soon over for three whole months. The optimism of youth was palpable. I remember being that age once, some time ago, and the thought and anticipation of the late warm nights spend with friends up the canyon with a fire, down at the sand dunes camping for the weekend, going to clubs and meeting new people- it was a great time- and I can feel it in these young kids! I don't long to go back, but I fondly remember my time in their shoes and it was good!

I say all of this because this afternoon I also picked Abby and Asher up from their last day of school and they were overflowing with excitement as well- how, in Kindergarten, they could really even know the joy of summer break- but they could feel it to!They have spend nine months in this classroom, sitting at these desks, learning and growing and becoming better people.Abby has learned so much this year! She has really blossomed, a love for school and learning has been successfully instilled in her through a wonderful teacher! She has made great friends and opened up to others, she is so much more outgoing!She and Asher have become wonderful friends! I think this is the greatest part of all. My favorite thing is running carpool and listening to what they talk about in the back seat as they sing along to the songs on the radio with no regard to the fact that others can hear. I loved to look in the rear view mirror and see secrets being passed followed by relentless giggles.

Kindergarten- a fantastic stage of life, ever learning, always eager, so carefree of the world or the problems it holds. Abby went in a mere baby and came out a young lady! She thrived, she excelled and the teachers first words every time we met were "Abby, if only every student could be an Abby!"Congratulations Abby and Asher- here's to an even better year together in the big First Grade!! (oh, what am I going to do without her ALL day long...)

PS: Shamae has posted on her new blog!!! Go and check her out here

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I can't believe how fast Abby is growing up! She is such a bright and sweet girl.

I went to your sis's blog and saw the pics of your super star gymnast niece. That is so awesome how much she has achieved in the past year! :)

Sarah F. said...

Such a sweet post. I love that. It makes me excited for Lauren to start kindergarten.

Jill said...

Yes I am crying like a baby reading your sweet post!! They have both grown up so much this year and it really is fun that they were able to share this year together! Asher will go through Abby withdrawls so lets get together often this summer!

Amber said...

Those pictures are so cute! I am glad there are so many cousins in this family. Before you know it, she'll be in jr. high! She is very smart- but she has great parents who helped with that, I'm sure!

stageoflife said...

I came across you blog today. I enjoyed it. I'm looking for writers interested in sharing wisdom, thoughts and experiences from their stage of life. Please reach out to me if you're interested.

Eric

--
Eric Thiegs
CEO/Founder
Stage of Life
www.stageoflife.com