Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring Break Continues

Despite the cold weather of last week, we continued to find fun things to do during our Spring Break:

On Tuesday we met the Mickelson's at the pool and spent the afternoon swimming while it poured rain outside! Most of the time was spent with Brooklyn and Abby making a train from the noodles and giving rides around the pool.On Wednesday we decided to meet the very same Mickelson clan at the movies to see the one and only Monster's VS. Aliens in 3D. Paul even joined us and while it was snowing outside, we were blown away by the movie- very cute and fun, but the 3D was spectacular! As soon as Liv put on her glasses she started reaching out to grab things and Eva put hers on, got scared that everything was right there, took them off and wouldn't put them on for the remainder of the film!!

Thursday we awoke to a foot of snow outside, but we didn't let that keep us from packing our bags, pillows, tents, and coats and making our way south to what we hoped would be warmer weather with my family! Alas the storm followed us and that first night I nearly lost all my toes and the next day was overcast, chilly and windy. This weather did nix my plans to go on a 37 mile bike ride with my brother Kelly across some magnificent landscapes, but we made the best of it and drove ourselves over to Arches National Park instead.
We first had lunch at a picnic area in which everyone got in the mood for climbing!Next we made our way up the trail to see Delicate Arch. Paul had never been there, well neither had Abby for that matter!! It is such a breathtaking structure and I was glad they were able to see it. When later asked what his favorite part of the trip was, Paul said this was by far!!We also took a short hike over to see some Native American Petroglyphs.Then we went over and saw one of the double arches. This hike was even more child friendly so Liv and Eva joined us- we had a great time, and again, so magnificent!

That night we had a BBQ and roasted marshmallows and enjoyed some smores- some of us had more than others, OK I did!!!Saturday morning we awoke to clear blue sky's and no wind, so we made our way to Goblin Valley. Now this is a place that I have been to several times as a child and teenager and I have such fond memories, I couldn't wait to let my girls experience how fun it is. If you have never been it is a 1 mile deep 3 miles wide valley of sand formations that they let all the children climb on and in and explore to their hearts content. I wish I had taken a panoramic view, but I didn't, so these close ups will have to do!!Despite losing Abby in the maze after only 5 min. and finding her quite shaken, we all had a great time and it was perfect weather. Thanks Cory, Jill, Kelly, Bethany, Mom, Aunt Marsha, and the kids for making the trip so fun!

We came home to beautiful weather, our trees and flowers in full bloom. Abby and Liv spent all Sunday afternoon in the backyard constructing bouquet'sand I have again fallen into spring fever love- hopefully this time it won't break my heart!!

8 comments:

julie Gutke said...

what a great trip you had!!!! so happy you had such a great time!!!

Sarah F. said...

It looks like you had so much fun! We will have to try that Goblin Valley of yours...it looks great and perfect for kids. Love the bouquets too.

Michelle said...

Looks like lots of fun! I've never stopped and hiked around arches either. Maybe Dave and I will plan a trip like that this year.

JJ said...

Wow! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun over Spring Break.

Your kids are gorgeous!

Amber said...

The camping trip looked like a lot of fun. I wish we could have come!It was also fun to see pictures of the Mickelson family... when is Shamae going to get her own blog, I wonder? I totally am jealous about the smores. I really want one right now!

Brooke said...

Hey--is that the very same dress Liv is wearing in the last picture as the one my girls have? I think so. So cute. Glad you had such a good weekend.

Jill said...

We had soo much fun at Goblin Valley and Asher loved having Abby there. I was sad that we missed the swim trip...your message didn't ring through on my phone until late that night, but it looked like a lot of fun!

Audrey said...

I have never been to the arches either, so thank you for sharing!! Those are beautiful photos. Judging by the big grins it looks like it was a blast!!