Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Never say Never

I am not a pet person, never really have been, never really will be. I grew up with several cats at different stages, as well as my beloved Charlie, a hamster. But after the girls were so interested in watching those silly Sea Monkeys, that Abby bought a couple weeks ago, grow from egg to little squirmy's and being go delighted with them- that is until I left them up in the kitchen window overnight when it decided to drop below freezing and they, well, passed on!! The girls were all so sad, I even think Paul was quite sad to see them go, that I caved and said, despite all my better judgment, "How about we go and pick out some real fish to take care of". I said it off the cuff, not really planning on following through. But then Abby started coming home from school everyday with her practice sentences written, including "I will get a fish." And she kept telling Asher on the way to school that she was going to get one. She was so excited that I couldn't not do it. I mean, it is fish, that is not hard, they don't get hair everywhere, they don't destroy furniture, they don't smell, they don't cost much to feed... OK, OK, OK, I caved!!!

So last night we took them, all smiley faced and bouncing out of their skin, to pick out some fish and here is the joy it produced:

Meet Goldie- Abby's
Chocolate- Liv'sand last but not least Helmet head- Eva's (thanks Paul for suggesting THAT name!)Now Paul has layed down his bet that I have killed them in three weeks time. I keep telling him I had a very happy and cared for Betta fish for 2 years in College- so I say they live at least that long, after all, I am even more responsible now! What time frame do you put your money on before you see the funeral post!!!

7 comments:

JJ said...

We have killed a Betta, 2 goldfish, 2 snails, and 3 small frogs. Fish now run from the edge of the aquarium when we go to look at them. MURDERERS is tattooed on our foreheads. I hope, for your sake, they last forever. Good luck!

Jennifer said...

Well, I for one, hope the little fish last a long time, for your sake as well as for the girls'. Love the name, Paul--good grief, no wonder you and Brandon get along so well--he would have suggested a name very much like that one, unfortunately! I love the name "Chocolate," Liv! That's really cute for a pet! Good luck!

Audrey said...

You remember my "free fish from the school carnival" post? One of ours only lasted 4 hours before we were having a family home evening about death around the toilet bowl. I wish you more luck than we had! because I sure would hate to see a picture without helmet-head. (Great name Paul!)

Brooke said...

Yay! Another blog to look at--instead of doing the laundry and the cleaning and the cooking...you know. Cute fishies. We may have to get some one of these days as Ben's allergic to cats and we don't do dogs. Emma SO wants a pet! BTW--you're an awesome digi-scrapper!

Michelle said...

Just be sure that you get fish that have a "generic" look to them. You know, in case you have to send Paul to Wal-mart in the middle of the night to replace one of them. You have cared for 3 young humans successfully so I'm pretty sure you won't kill these fish.

I LOVE Abby's practice sentences, "I love my Mom and Dad a ton." How cute!!

Linda Clark said...

Ah the fun of fish...I just got two outside cats and one has either taken off already or something wanted it more than I did...but country life is rough at best. Good luck with them.

Amber said...

It's probably just a good idea that you didn't get gold fish... they die in like 3 days! I love the names, especially helmet head. What a fitting name. I love those adorable little faces too! I can't wait to be around more this summer!