Friday, March 27, 2009

It seems I have let go

The other day I came home from my morning swim and rushed off to shower. I came out and began to gather all my hair and makeup supplies in preparation for the day when Abby comes by, stops short, cocks an eyebrow and says "Mom, is it Sunday today?" I said "No, it is Thursday and I volunteer at your school on Thursdays. Why, do I only get ready on Sunday?" and she says "Yes"!!!!

So this got me thinking- have I really let things go that much? Am I that lazy that if I am not going to be leaving the house to go to church, or the school (where all the kids are in uniform and the teachers wear dresses or shirts and ties) do I not make an effort? Then I remembered that just yesterday morning a lady at the gym complemented me on my skin- she told me I look like an after picture! And this was after getting out of the pool and my hair was a mop on my head! Granted she was older and probably crazy, but I was flattered. See, I don't even need to wear makeup! But then I remember one of my most favorite moments with my mother when I was a teenager. My siblings and I had convinced her that we needed to be driven to the mall for some shopping and she looked down at her Emerald Green sweat suit she was wearing and said "oh, in that case I had better go and change." We all breathed a sigh of relief until she came back out and she was wearing a purple sweat suit!!!! We all laughed and laughed and said she had not changed and she said "but the other one was dirty"!!!!!

I love my mother, and I love that we have moments like this with her, but am I, as a stay at home mom, letting things go just a little too much- should I be making more of an effort? Most of my days start out with either running, swimming or biking and by the time I get girls dressed, hair done, and off to school with lunch in tummies and finally get a shower, it is after noon and I am not going to be leaving the house at all. I do get dressed for the day, I do comb my hair and wash my face, I do put on deodorant!

So tell me, be honest, do you put on a full face of makeup and do your hair everyday, even if you are not going anywhere? I need to know if I am letting myself, my husband, my daughters and everyone that I come in contact with out front of my house down!!! If so, I will make a change!!!! I really don't want to be scaring the neighbors!!

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh please. You are not letting yourself go! You are a busy woman. Who says you have to wear make up any way, after all you've got on deodorant. You focus on what is important. To make you feel better, lately I rarely even get a shower. If you need to come over feel free, I promise you will leave felling much better!

Jennifer said...

I DO wear makeup everyday, but only because I don't like looking at myself without it. YOU, on the other hand, really do look fine without makeup, and as long as you are clean and wearing clean clothing and your hair is combed, I say you are fine! My hair just goes into a ponytail most of the time because I don't like it in my face. You aren't scaring anyone--you are beautiful just the way you are. And I'm not just saying that!

But, thanks for the laugh in sharing that story about your mom--I can picture that scene perfectly! So funny! And still so true!!!!!

Amber said...

So even though I don't have kids yet, but I am around them all day long, being the "mom"... I don't really leave her house either. And while I was sick with being pregnant and bronchitis for almost four months, I made the excuse that I wasn't going to get ready either (more than you do). But during the time that I wasn't getting ready, I promised myself that I would start putting my make-up on everyday and do my hair when I felt better. Well, I felt better and I still see no sense in getting ready for the day when you have no one to impress and no where to go! I feel it is a waste of make-up and a waste of time! Ha ha ha. However, I do put it on when I sub, which I find interesting after reading your post cause I only put it on when I am going out in the real world to do real world things! I think that if you get in the shower everyday, change your underware, put on deodorant, and make your hair look presentable and clean, you don't need all the make-up, jewelry, accessories, and everything else! BUT I will also say that I do feel much better about myself when I try harder to look cute, as I am sure you do as well. But I just don't see why it is worth it unless you have some place to go. Besides that, wearing no make-up is better for your skin anyway... maybe that is why you have such beautiful, soft, after picture skin! And perhaps that is what the older lady's problem was... she just might have worn it a little too much!! :)

Bethany said...

Bree,
I know exactly how you feel. I do the same thing and I think it's ok. But I do feel better when I get ready every once in a while. There are some benefits to not getting ready all the time. When I do, I get lots of comments on how wonderful I look. If I got ready every day no one would notice the rare times when I do.

Kelly wants to add his 2 cents:
I don't understand why women think that they need to paint their faces to be pretty. It is ridiculous. All women are more beautiful without makeup. I would rather see your face than paint.

Michelle said...

First of all, you are beautiful. With or without makeup you are seriously blessed to be naturally beautiful. Plus, Paul adores you and that is all that matters. :)

I don't put makeup on if I'm going to be home all day. Some days I stay in my painting clothes or sweats all day. Hey, if I'm not going to see anyone all day why do I need anything else?

Might I add that you exercise almost every day. That is much more important than putting on makeup. ;D

Your mom is funny. It is good to know that my mom wasn't the only mom who was embarrassing in high school. At the time it was so stressful, now it just seems funny.

Paulene Davis said...

I am one that has to GET READY everyday before I go somewhere or even stay home all day. However, you are called by 'us' as ONE OF THOSE. You are one of those that have natural beauty and looks incredible all the time. Paul loves this quality about you.

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

Agree to all that has been said above.....You have always had great skin and hair so can get away with it. As for me, I hate to tell you I am always (except Saturday) ready (showered and make-up) before my kids leave to school. I just never know where I will be needed and it seems the kids are always needed to run somwhere. I have to say that all this happened with my fourth child.....I ran out of ME time with him, so there you have it! I think whatever you choose is GREAT!

Tina DeWitt said...

I sit here reading this at noon with my pajamas on, my hair doing whatever it wants and no visible signs of make-up. So, to answer your question, no, I do not get all ready, hair, make-up, etc. if I am not going to be leaving the house. Though I do try to at least get dressed every day (right before Jared comes home from work if nothing else). But, I am trying to get ready more often because I have noticed that Jonathon wants to just wear his pjs all day so I don't think I am setting the best example. I have started trying to actually get showered and dressed before Jared leaves in the morning the last few days (ok, today was a bad day) to see if that helps. But again, you are beautiful even if your not all done up and I'm sure if you were wearing a purple sweat suit it would be a very cute one. The story made me totally laugh, though.

JJ said...

You know me...I have to "put my face on" every day but that's 1)because it makes me feel better and 2) because I need it. If I were like you and looked beautiful with a "naked" face, I would definitely not go to all the trouble.

Audrey said...

You crack me up. I too start my day with exercise and then try to squeeze a shower in while taking care of kids, but I still do the whole make-up, hair routine every day. If I am pressed for time or Kevin is out of town, I may not put on full eye shadow or pull my hair up, but the routine still must be done. Unless I am at the beach house. Different story.