Monday, March 9, 2009

The Design Dilemma

This last weekend thanks to my father(again!) and my brother Trace, Paul was able to get the door way cut and all the drywall up and start the mud and tape- in fact the second coat is on and tonight we will decide if it needs more or if it is ready for texture! Because it really feels like a room now the girls are so excited they can hardly contain themselves. This is what our evening looked like yesterday:The other day we were talking with the girls about talents, what each of them has, how they can use them and make them grow. Well, while hanging out in the doorway and cheering on her father Liv says "Daddy, I think your talent is building. You are a very good builder, especially of playrooms." So true Liv, so true!!!

On Friday I watched one of my favorite design shows, Divine Design with Candice Olsen, and she was doing a little girls bedroom and I just fell in love with the color scheme and the design. She had put up the most fabulous wallpaper on one wall that was all glittery and floral in a Tangerine, Yellow, and Fuchsia color scheme on a white background. She then painted one wall in the Tangerine Orange color, so cute! I decided right then this was what I wanted to do and Paul agreed that it would be perfect for our space. So I set out to find that wallpaper because it is from Candice's kids line and sure enough it can be ordered in at Wallpaper Warehouse and Lowe's. The problem is that it is a designer line so it is pricier than my budget will allow. So the question: Should I splurge and make it what I want(did I mention it was glittery!), or should I keep hunting and find something similar but not as expensive? Oh the dilemma's!!

Until next time, we will just be here, covered in dust and trying to live among it!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh wow!!!! I love that picture with the girls watching their daddy show off his talents--so cute. It's really coming along! I can't wait to see it since I didn't get a chance at Liv's birthday party.

Man, that is a dilemma with the wallpaper--could you just paint those flowers on--stamp them, something? That would be tons cheaper, and I bet you could do it, and it would look fantastic!

Kelly said...

What a fun room. Your girls and you are going to love it.
I say splurge on the paper or wait until you can afford it. Otherwise you will always look in the room and think of the paper you could have had.
I'm sure it will look great no matter what.

Hillary Brown said...

what a fun space for the girls! i probably agree with splurging, but i would look around first to see if there is anything even close to that design, and if not...(if you are anything like me, you will regret not getting what caught your eye in the first place!)that is a dilema! i really do enjoy glitter! good luck

JJ said...

Splurge or Save is a hard one. I'm very excited for the room and, I'd be tempted to splurge. Of course, Kelly and I are in Save mode so...not sure if it would be an option for me. But, if you wanted to do it right the first time, I'd say go for it and just save money elsewhere. My two cents...

Audrey said...

No question. Splurge. I agree with Kelly, otherwise you will always describe it as "the 2nd choice wall paper because the first one was too pricey." Go for it! You have worked too hard to settle now. Wish my girls could come and break it in with yours!!! It is wonderful.

Michelle said...

Way to go Paul! That is coming along quite nicely...

Unless the original choice paper is crazy expensive or something you better get it. I would go with first choice unless it is WAY too much money. :)

Jill said...

I would say look around first and see if there is anything very close to comparable, but don't settle! If you don't find anything that you LOVE then splurge - otherwise you will regret it later!

Rob said...

Hey Bree:)
You could always use vinyl flowers:) I know where you can get them for a screamin good deal...and super cute...in lots of colors. Just an option! Whatever you do, it will be the cutest playroom ever...because your girlies will be playing in it!

Tamarynn Leigh said...

I LOVE your new header...so cute! You guys have been really busy. Paul is quite the handy-man. That is so awesome and I'm sure the playroom will look great. I love that wallpaper and the tangerine wall with it sounds SOOOO cute! I would probably just splurge and buy it because I hate shopping and wouldn't want to keep looking around, but if you don't mind browsing some more, it might be worth it. Can't wait to see the finished product!