Saturday, July 30, 2011

Excitement- Two Fold

For several months now Olivia has been wiggling her top two front teeth. She has so lamented not losing one during her entire Kindergarten year. She thought for sure when she turned 6 they would magically start falling from her mouth amid applause and sugar filled gumdrops- but the day came and went and STILL she did not lose a single tooth!! Now, with the promise that these wiggles have made, the excited has slowly been building- but then she started to become very timid about the whole "yanking them out" thing.

Olivia resides, shall we say, on the dramatic side of life. Nothing ever just happens- "STUFF HAPPENS!!" when she is involved. So, while thinking this next step in her life would just breeze by was completely crazy, think it I did-- and then I was corrected.

I say this because after all the fuss of her TOP two teeth being wiggly, two nights ago we noticed that her BOTTOM two teeth were already half way in BEHIND her baby teeth! How this happened without her knowledge, or ours, is beyond my scope of understanding. So Olivia and Paul set to work with the wiggling, jiggling, and pushing on those LOWER front two teeth.

Enter- the DRAMATICS!!! The thought of going to the dentist and having him pull them out brought wave after wave of her famous crocodile tears. However, the idea of actually "ripping them out of her skin" brought shear terror to her body and soul. Clearly they were a part of her! How could we even fathom removing something that was a part of her!! She never really wanted to lose them!! Oh, and the PAIN the HORRIBLE AWFUL EXCRUCIATING PAIN of it all!!

Little did she know, that a Paul on a mission of tooth removal is a Paul on a mission of tooth removal- there was NO way he was going to pay the dentist to do something we could do ourselves!

Enter this morning- I am upstairs, I hear a scream that rattled the shutters and threatens to blow the roof off. The next thing I know these beaming eyes of pride and elation greet me with this in hand:

Then I really don't know what happened next, what words of persuasion were given, what promises were made, but not an hour later I am greeted with an even bigger grin and twice the number of teeth in hand:

Of course all of this was only made better by the fact that we were going to Grandma's for a family lunch party and the entire Griffiths clan was there to give her high fives and congratulations!

The excitement- oh the excitement!!

4 comments:

Jill said...

She is so brave! I love that she ran right up to me to show me!

Sarah F. said...

That is exactly what happened to Kaitlyn!! Both of her bottom teeth grew in behind her first teeth! I had never seen that before. It was like shark's teeth. :) And we had the whole pull them out or we go to the dentist DRAMA! So glad it's over. Congrats Liv! So happy you lost TWO teeth. Let us know what the tooth fairy brings.

amberdat said...

This brings back so many memories for me! I was half way through second grade before I lost any of my teeth!! On Christmas eve my grandma was fed up with it, put me on her lap, and convinced me that it would be the best Christmas ever if I could honestly sing, "All I want for
Christmas is my two front teeth." Before I knew it, she ripped them out of my gums! Go grandma go. Tell her congrats from me! Lincoln loved seeing her pictures! Miss you.

Megan said...

I love her face! So happy and excited, and then somehow, even happier. Now I wish I could hear her little voice talking with a slight lisp. She's darling!