Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pioneer Stock Part II

You might remember last July when I made this post about my pioneer heritage. It involved my paternal line. I always get nostalgic this time of year. I like to ponder what my ancestors went through for me, how they endured, survived, thrived and enjoyed life. Today, on the eve of another Days of 47 Celebration, I would like to share a continuation of that story.

Two weeks ago we traveled north, to Cache County- Clarkston UT to be exact. It is a VERY small community on the northern boarder of Utah . We were attending the Lydia Adline Godfrey/ Andrew Heggie Griffiths family Reunion (my Great Grandparents). I have attended several of these gatherings while growing up, but not for at least 15 years. This year my Grandpa (Weldon Griffiths) was in charge of the celebration and in his planning decided he would take all the posterity on a tour of the farm land and old homestead that his father build back in 1915. My Great Aunt still lives there and opened her doors to us all and it was full of history and treasures.

Great Grandpa G. is 89 years old and the second in line of his 10 siblings- the stories he has to tell!!
We drove, a lot further out of town than I expected, out to the wheat fields.
I was surprised to learn that they had 160 acres of land in which they dry farmed for decades, right through the depression and WWII. (This picture is only made better by the fact that we all have our eyes closed!)

He shared stories of how it was done, how his days as a boy were spent laboring in these fields to the north and to the west. How it was everything to them and how being dependent on the weather helped to carve out his intense testimony and faith in the law of Tithing.

Next we traveled back into town and were able to see the old homestead, still standing after almost 100 years!! While most of it remains the same and untouched it has been updated and given modern technology like electricity and a new electric stove replacing the old wood burning one:It has all the original floors cabinets and tile work
The house now has a plumbed bathroom, but 50 paces out the back door and they still have the old outhouse:My Grandfather still thinks this is the way it should be- "smelly stuff belongs outside" he says!!

She still has the original farm table
and wash boards that they spent many hours scrubbing on
The old chicken coop still stands
Grain Shed and silo
and it even still has an old tractor hanging out!

The funnest part? These metal swings with vintage tractor seats!

I wonder if Andrew ever thought about what this home would be in 100 years. Did he wonder as he swung that hammer to drive in the nails if his Great Granddaughter would stand on the porch some day to listen about his life and share it with his Great Great Granddaughters? I hope so, and I hope this day made him smile in the same manner it made me!

Happy Pioneer Day!!

No comments: